Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is JUVENATION different from other counselling and coaching practices?
We are Victoria’s only counselling, coaching and education practice specializing in Life Transitions and Personal Achievement that creates a holistic plan for you by actively building the collaborations you require to achieve your goals. This approach is based on a Biopsyschosocial (BPS) Model and allows us to create and execute custom plans built on solid holistic principles and collaborative practices; A true Life-Centre for inspired Wellness and Transition. JUVENATION also partners with different specialized and focused organizations that provide access to funding for qualified individuals. We are here to help you obtain the services you need. Contact our office to ask how we can help you.
2. What type of education, training, certifications or professional designations do your counsellors have?
This is a very important question you should be asking! You always want to make sure your therapist or counsellor has a legitimate and professional designation or certification and is a member of a Canadian recognized institution or association like the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA) or the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC). Always ask what type of education and/or training a therapist or counsellor has. Clinical Counselling is currently not regulated in the province of B.C. and as such, anyone can call themselves a professional coach, therapist or counsellor, specializing in a wide-range of issues. Some people 'coaching' or 'counselling' have not been trained properly by a professional body. All Counsellors at JUVENATION have what we believe to be the highest training, credentials and education. Please see individual counsellor profiles located in the about us section of our website to find out about our counsellors’ education and training.
3. What do you mean by "Holistic"?
For some reason, people often confuse the term "Holistic" or "Holistic Health" with Homeopathic, Alternative and even Naturopatheic Medicine and Health Care. While there may be merit to all such treatments, the word holistic is defined as follows (Mirriam-Webster Dictionary): relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts <holistic medicine attempts to treat both the mind and the body> <holistic ecology views humans and the environment as a single system>. Simply put, Holistic Health is actually an approach to life and treatment of complaints where, rather than focusing on just the illness and its' accepted connection to specific parts of the mind or body, it considers the whole person and how he or she interacts with his or her environment. It emphasizes the connection of mind, body, and spirit. At JUVENATION we believe that in order to overcome any mental health issue, you should work on the whole of you, not just a part of you.
4. How long is a session and how many will I require?
Sessions are typically 50 minutes and the number depends on the plan you and your counsellor develop.
5. Does my health insurance cover this?
The B.C. Medical Services Plan (MSP) does not cover counselling services. However, extended health care plans differ significantly and may cover all or a portion of your counselling. JUVENATION also partners with different specialized and focused organizations that provide access to funding for qualified individuals. We are here to help you get the services you need at a cost you can afford. Please see our Fees & Payment section for further details.
6. How do I know if I need counselling?
Are certain issues causing problems in your life and you aren't sure how to make the necessary changes? Counselling can help. With the help of a professional, you can get out of an unhealthy cognitive, emotional, and behavioral pattern.
7. How will I know if counselling is working?
- You feel better! You notice that you are happier, calmer, at ease more often, and more hopeful about the future.
- You handle life’s ups and downs more easily and with more control over your emotions. You see the difficult times as part of life and are less likely to become overwhelmed by them.
- You are more forgiving and accepting. You are seeing those around you, including those who may have hurt you, as humans who may have simply made mistakes just as you have.
- You are more connected to yourself and your own emotions, to those around you, and to life in general. You look forward to living your life and not just moving through it.
- You are beginning to see things differently.
- You are making different choices and looking at your own needs more often. You recognize that you have choices you didn’t used to think you had.
- You smile or laugh more; your whole demeanor is more positive and future-focused.
- Other people are noticing differences in you, and they are beginning to react to you in different and more positive ways.
- You are getting along better with the other people in your life—from your friends and family members, to your coworkers, to strangers you come across on a day-to-day basis.
- You have more hope for a brighter future for yourself and for your loved ones.
- You have some sort of plan or goal for what you want your life to be, and you’re working towards that goal.
- You feel safe both emotionally and physically.
- You feel important, competent, and significant in the lives of those around you. You know you have value to them and to yourself.
- You got a new job.
- You are making your own healthier choices for your behaviour, for your thoughts, and for your feelings.
8. What are your fees?
Please visit the Fees and Methods of Payment section of our website.
9. What are your methods.
Our methods are based on an integrative theoretical relational approach between practitioner and client, that combines the principles of Existentialism and Gestalt theories focusing on the "Here and Now". Techniques are drawn from several different approaches as outlined in Issues and Approaches section of the website. This allows the practitioner to work with the client and collaborate with other professionals in the community to provide a comprehensive and balanced wellness plan to achieve the desired results
If you are wondering about a particular method, please see our Issues & Methods page.
10. Can I bring someone with me to my first session?
For your own comfort, you can bring someone to your consultation, however as we move into your own counselling process, it is designed to offer a confidential experience that cannot be maintained with a 3rd party present. We can discuss this further when you come in.
11. What is your confidentiality policy?
JUVENATION upholds the highest level in confidentiality and ethical standards. No one at JUVENATION will release your name, or any information about you or your counsellling/coaching to anyone outside of the company without your informed, voluntary, and written consent. Confidentiality is limited in the following instances:
- There is a risk of imminent danger to an identifiable third party or to self.
- There is suspicion of child abuse or neglect.
- A disclosure is ordered by a court.
- The client has agreed to share information with another person (e.g., physician, family member, etc).
12. Can I do a session over the phone or online?
Absolutely! At JUVENATION, we want to provide alternatives to the way people get help facing life’s challenges by providing convenient, discreet and affordable access to a counsellor. Counselling is available through a computer, telephone and other video and teleconferencing options. Contact our office to setup a consultation.
13. Do I need a referral to see one of your counsellors?
No referral is necessary. Contact us to book your appointment today.